Saturday, April 05, 2014

Headless guardsman

Finally - after a period with little time and even less enthusiasm for modelling, the release of the new storm troopers / scions / militarium tempestus ("a beloved child has many names" as we say in sweden...) has yet again spurred me into action. 

The kit is simply amazing - arguably one of the best GW has ever produced - and the modelling possibilities for those with inquisitorial leanings are endless. The sprues are just teeming with useful bitz (stars of the show being the powerfist and tempestor coat). 

I just bought the kit and the plan is to put the first squad together more or less straight out of the box and use the as inquisitorial stormtroopers - here's the test model on which I'll try out the paintscheme: 


I did however try out some alternative heads before glueing on the helmet. Some of theese look pretty cool and illustrates how versatile this kit can be - a simple head swap can completely change the mood of the model. 


Scout

Valkyrie pilot

Marauder

Space wolf

Marauder






10 comments:

  1. They look great! It is a very exciting kit, the first in a while that really shines with Inq40k potential. I cannot wait to try my had at converting a few and look forward to seeing what you come up with. I really like that Space Wolf head on him; he reminds me of Colm Corbec!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After some googling I concur - he does look like Colm. Guess I have to read Gaunts Ghosts...

      Delete
  2. It really is an awesome kit and has impressed me a great deal. What impressed me the most was a very simple detail on one of the hellguns held at ease. The operator does not have his finger on the trigger of the rifle! This i think is the first instance where a GW model is practicing trigger control (only proper for such highly trained soldiers!). In general their hands are modeled very nicely.

    I was also really happy with the range of heads in the kit (17 I believe), particularly with the berets. The heads do a great job of taking visual aspects of all the previous storm trooper releases and merging them together into something new.

    Their fighting knives are cool too. I like how they have a fully enclosed finger choil (kind of like a karambit...)

    Looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the ones you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping the knifes for other purposes... Assassins!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this. It's really useful to see miniatures in their bare plastic form when I'm trying to figure out what I could do with them.

    I agree that they look like fantastic miniatures. I think I'll be buying a box of these and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Echoing MonkeyBallistic - its great seeing kits built in the bare plastic - really helps you see the potential in a kit.

    The stock model and the Wolf head one are my favourites - looks like lots of very cool potential to mix parts onto the basic frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - the helmeted heads are fab. I'm practically in love with them...

      Delete
  5. Valkyrie pilot, definitly. Gives him a very strange look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - the pilot head work really well. Gives them more of a special ops feel...

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.